Kindling Words West has found a splendid new home among the earth-tenders at Whidbey Institute. In 2022, we will meet for a seven day Artist Colony experience the week of May 1-8. We take the ferry just north of Seattle and settle in among the tall northwestern pines for a week that will nourish our bodies and our creative spirits.
REGISTRATION FOR KINDLING WORDS WEST is strictly limited due to Covid-19
Whidbey Institute has a mission to nurture people who are actively making the world a better place, and they are delighted to bring our group of children’s book creators into their midst. The rooms are rustic, the woods ancient, the architecture breathtaking, and the food is glorious.
Instead of having whole group activities, this year, we will be an Artist’s Colony, where we have our cozy individual rooms and public spaces to work in. We can have informal discussions that are outdoors, go on walks through the glorious woods, and laugh and tell stories – from a distance.
We will have strict Covid protocol in place. Remember, even if you have been lucky enough to have received the vaccine, you will be protected, but you could still be carrying the virus asymptomatically. Our goal is to keep everyone in our community safe.
- Before coming, everyone who has not been immunized by the shot will need to sequester and then receive a negative Covid test, then travel to Whidbey without incurring the risk of contracting Covid.
- If you have not been vaccinated and cannot travel without coming into contact with people, you can come early and sequester/test in Washington.
- During the retreat, for everyone, there is a mask-on policy at all times unless you are alone in your own room, or at least 6’ away from another person outdoors. This includes shared bathrooms. Whidbey Institute has tight cleaning policies in place.
- If you come down with Covid, or feel ill, or even uncomfortable, you will be fully refunded.
Whidbey has put much thought and attention to detail regarding Covid safety practices:
- To keep things safe, they will give us the double rate, but all rooms would be singles (unless you are family.)
- Whidbey has skillfully worked out dining safety (with those scrumptious meals from our cherished chef.)
- Rigorous cleaning protocols are in place. We are confident that the staff at Whidbey will do everything in their power to make our experience completely Covid-free, as long as we are prepared to arrive free and clear.
The late spring dates will offer us many more opportunities to explore the outdoors and the exquisite forest paths that are all around the Whidbey community, and the beaches on the island
The COST for room, board and including tax for 7 nights would be $1,226. Tuition will be reduced to $365 for the seven days. We will have a generous eye to scholarship as needed. (Many of you rolled over your tuition from last year, and a few did the same with rooming costs. We can talk individually about that.)
As always at Whidbey, cancellation policies are generous, and particularly mindful, this year, of changes in plans related to Covid concerns. Basically, if for any reason you are uncomfortable, up to 2 weeks prior they will give you a full refund. If you are sick and can’t come so you don’t share possible Covid, you’ll be fully refunded no matter what.
Please send all questions and/or correspondence about KW West to: KWW@KindlingWords.org